Library Media Specialist
This job has been closed
Stafford County Public Schools
School / Org:
No. of Positions:
||20 September 2017
||Open Until Filled
Stafford County P.S is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Library Media Specialist
Location: Moncure Elementary
Minimum Salary: $42,250.00
Position Summary - Library Media Specialist: Under the supervision of the Building Administrator and/or designee, the Library Media Specialist develops and implements the objectives of the school library media center to enable students and faculty to take advantage of the materials and services available.
The following Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, and Key Duties and Responsibilities are given by way of example, are not intended to be all inclusive, and are not set forth in order of importance.
1. State licensure and endorsement in Library Media, with knowledge of acquisition, preparation, and utilization of both print and non-print media.
2. Broad knowledge and experience in teaching, media programs, management, and administration of Library Media services.
3. Previous experience with computers and a variety of communications technology.
4. Ongoing evidence of mental and physical competence to perform assigned responsibilities may be required from a qualified physician.
5. An applicant who has had prior experience in a related position must have a performance rating which is acceptable to Stafford County Public Schools for such experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrate ability to work cooperatively with the total staff and students.
2. Demonstrate ability to relate positively to parents and other community representatives.
3. Demonstrate appropriate use of written and verbal communication; thorough knowledge of English grammar and usage.
4. Demonstrate effective time management and organizational skills.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of information retrieval and educational technology.
6. Demonstrate initiative and flexibility.
7. Demonstrate leadership in the use of media and current technology
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide effective instruction in the use of library resources to students utilizing various media formats and learning strategies in a large group, a small group, or on an individual basis.
2. Maintain a physical environment conducive to library usage and learning.
3. Assist teachers in gathering appropriate materials in support of classroom instruction.
4. Insure access to and circulation of a variety of print, non-print, electronic and human resources.
5. Provide training and direction for paraprofessionals, volunteers, and student assistants.
6. Conduct staff development activities related to all information resources.
7. Develop budget recommendations for submission to the principal.
8. Maintain an effective records management system.
9. Develop policies and procedures related to the use of the library and maintain in written format.
10. Maintain an accurate inventory of library media materials.
11. Select and maintain a current collection of resources that support the instructional program soliciting input from patrons.
12. Insure efficient processing of library materials.
13. Collaborate with the Media Technology Specialist to establish goals to insure an effective library program.
14. Actively participate on various school and county planning committees.
15. Actively pursue professional growth activities.
16. Actively promote the use of library media resources and services within the school and to the community.
17. Comply with all district and school policies and regulations.
18. Work in collaboration with teachers to schedule and plan so that all students are taught information skills as an integral part of the curriculum.
19. Promote literacy and reading for enjoyment with all library patrons using a variety of motivational techniques.
20. Promote care of library materials and respect for the ideas of others, including provisions of the copyright law.
21. Organize inventory, circulate, and distribute all audio visual equipment as needed.
22. Provide a warm and friendly atmosphere so that all library patrons feel comfortable and welcome.
23. Adhere to Guidelines of Confidentiality as outlined in Federal and State Laws and County Policies and Procedures.
24. Comply with all district and school policies and regulations.
25. Maintain a record of appropriate attendance and punctuality.
26. Serve as an optimal role model for students, colleagues, and the general public.
27. Must work in close harmony with colleagues, supervisors, and co-workers.
28. Maintain a clean, neat appearance, appropriate to position.
29. Perform other duties as assigned.
Evaluated By: Principal, Building Administrator or designee
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Terms of Employment: 10 months according to Stafford County School Board calendar
Evaluation: Evaluation will be conducted in accordance with School Board Policies and Regulations.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Stafford County Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Virginia. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Stafford County Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job