ESL Teacher - Various Elementary Positions
This job has been closed
Reading School District
English as a Second Language
School / Org:
||Reading School District
No. of Positions:
||3 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Reading School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position:
ESL Teacher - Various Elementary Positions
Position Goal: To facilitate the development of English proficiency in listening; understanding; speaking; reading; and writing in order to meet the Pennsylvania Academic and Teach English As A Second Language (TESOL) Schedule. To promote a climate of cultural understanding and to facilitate positive psychosocial adjustment to life in a complex multicultural society.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Other duties may be assigned.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following fundamental duties:
1. Complies with District policies and procedures in the identification and placement of students acquiring English.
2. Teaches English language communication skills (listening/comprehension, speaking, reading and writing) using District-adopted curriculum and the English Second Language Planned Courses and/or subject matter content using the Sheltered English Approach.
3. Completes written lesson plans according to District policies and implements appropriate instructional practices based on sound theory of second language acquisition and the unique needs of the English language learner.
4. Correlates classroom objectives with the English Language Acquisition Program Goals, Teach English As A Second Language Standards and the Pennsylvania Academic Standards.
5. Assesses and monitors student progress toward meeting District and state academic standards using multiple forms of assessment on a regular basis.
6. Maintains accurate, complete and up-to-date student records as required by law, District policy and administrative regulations.
7. Provides a written plan and model appropriate instructional activities to be implemented by the English Language Acquisition instructional assistant.
8. Designates a regular time to meet with the instructional assistant to discuss instructional activities and student programs.
9. Keeps parents informed of studentís progress and adjustment to the new educational setting.
10. Monitors progress of mainstreamed students for one year following exit testing.
11. Establishes classroom procedures to maintain student behavior that is conducive to learning.
12. Refers students in need of academic, psychological, social or medical assistance to the appropriate school personnel.
13. Meets and instructs assigned classes at the locations and times designated.
14. Differentiates instruction to meet the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students by employing a variety of instructional techniques and media consistent with the physical limitation provided.
15. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
16. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and regulations.
17. Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student conduct in the classroom and the school at large.
18. Develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedures, maintaining order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
19. Makes provisions to be available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
20. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
21. Attends staff meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
22. Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent or his/her designee. This job description does not constitute an exhaustive list of responsibilities and management may revise it at any time.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
PA Teaching Certificate; English Second Language Program Specialist Certificate; Fluency in Spanish preferred.
1. Ability to speak clearly and distinctly.
2. Ability to be able to use telephone and greet students/staff/visitors
3. Ability to read correspondence.
1. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions and percentages.
2. Ability to work with mathematical concepts.
3. Ability to apply financial concepts.
1. Ability to coordinate activities with related and specialist staff.
2. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, parents and the community.
3. Ability to develop and maintain required records and reports.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
1. Ability to promote cultural understanding within the classroom, school district and community.
2. Ability to work as a member of a team.
3. Must be courteous and able to deal effectively with people.
4. Must be cooperative, congenial and service-oriented.
5. Ability to maintain personal self-control in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Some driving is necessary. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception. Occasionally, yet essential to this position, the individual must meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The position frequently requires the employee to work irregular or extended hours.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but may be moderate to loud at times. The employee is frequently required to interact with the parents, public and staff during and after the normal workday. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and exhibit good human relation skills including courtesy, tact and patience. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of subordinate staff.
The employee will be formally supervised and evaluated with regard to his/her duties on a regular basis by the Building Principal and/or Director of English Language Acquisition Program..
The position holder must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. It is the responsibility of the employee to inform the Department of Human Resources of any and all reasonable accommodations that will be required. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended, and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
The Reading School District is an equal opportunity employment, educational, and service organization.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Reading School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Pennsylvania. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Reading School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job