6-8th Grade Virtual School Teacher
Omaha Public Schools
School / Org:
||Omaha Public Schools
No. of Positions:
||9 November 2017
||Open Until Filled
Omaha Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
6-8th Grade Virtual School Teacher
Location: Omaha Virtual School - Elementary, 4640 South 59th Circle, Omaha NE 68117
Reports To: Program Director, Virtual School
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 190 Days Contracted
Salary Schedule: Commensurate with experience and education
Position Function: Imagine a school that isn't ruled by a bell schedule. Where teachers aren't bogged down by tedious lesson plans and can add their own creative flair to an innovative and engaging curriculum. Imagine a workplace that believes your professional development, career growth and progression are crucial to the success of its efforts, and ensures mentors are there to support you every step of the way. When you work at Omaha Public Schools Virtual School, you are given the tools to join us in our mission to change the world-one student at a time.
The Instructor provides an educational atmosphere where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth. The Instructor organizes and implements an instructional program that results in students achieving academic success in accordance with Omaha Public Schools Virtual Program and state policies and laws.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Plan, prepare, and implement instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences in a blending learning environment
- Identify, select, create and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs
- Assist in assessing changing curricular needs and offer plans for improvement
- Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures
- Provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process
- Communicate with students, parents, and internal and external professionals within established timelines
- Collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment for students by participating in activities which include, but are not limited to, team teaching, meetings, staff development, communities of practice, and various committees
- Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community members
- Ensure that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or program classification
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents, schools, and colleagues measured by district/school survey results
- Meet specific course and school-wide student performance goals
- Demonstrate gains in student performance
- Participate in research and presentations about online teaching; this may include activities such as, authoring articles, hosting workshops, sharing of information for professional growth, and student outreach events and activities
- Participate in blended learning models, which includes both on-line and classroom instruction and interaction with students at various locations and places across the state
- May be responsible for instructional tutoring
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as, meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrate respect for others
- All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established
- Others duties as assigned by supervisor or district office
Equipment: This position will require the ability to use office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. It will be necessary to display ability to engage in online/blended activities utilizing software/websites that deliver content remotely. Employees must always comply with OPS guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: limited travel between schools and central offices will be required. Occasional travel outside of Omaha or Nebraska may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Regular attendance is important
- Ability to perform task independently
- Ability to work overtime on short notice may be required
- Works in standard office environment
- Ability to work with technology for a sustained period of time
- Ability to travel in and outside of Omaha as requested
- Ability to correspond verbally and written at a high level
- Ability to represent Virtual Schools to community, media and governmental agencies
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors and state/federal personnel
- Will need to coordinate between multiple district level departments to implement Virtual School
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external stakeholders in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for OPS to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of OPS and is appropriate for their position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor's degree in education from an accredited college or university.
- A valid NE Teaching Certificate or the ability to obtain one with appropriate endorsement(s); Elementary (K-6) endorsement required; Elementary K-8 endorsement preferred
- A demonstrated philosophy that ail students can and will learn.
- Excellent attendance record
- Excellent communication skills oral and written
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Best Instructional practices
- Positive interpersonal skills
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This Individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students. staff, parents and the community
- A willingness and demonstrated abilities conducive to a continuous quest for quality education.
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience and education / Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Omaha Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Nebraska. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Omaha Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job