Title 1 Non-Public Tutor
This job has been closed
Omaha Public Schools
School / Org:
||Omaha Public Schools
No. of Positions:
||9 November 2017
||30 November 2017
Omaha Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Title 1 Non-Public Tutor
Location: Non-Public Schools TBD
Report To: Title I Teacher Leader
Work Period: 190 Days Contracted
Position Function: Title I Non-public Tutor will provide support to small groups of students in a non-public school(s). The small group tutoring sessions will be focused on math and reading content. The tutor will be working with students in grades kindergarten through eighth grade. Omaha Public School Title I staff will determine the caseload and specific students that the tutor with work with in small groups. This position is funded through the use of federal funds from the U.S. Department Education that are given to State Education Agencies (SEA), of which then direct those funds to Local Education Agencies (LEA). It provides funds for reading/language arts and math curriculum to students in impoverished areas who are at risk of failing to meet state standards. Title 1 funds are used to support eligible students attending private schools.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in education from an accredited college or university, required
- A valid NE Teaching Certificate or the ability to obtain one with appropriate endorsement(s), required
- A demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will learn
- Excellent attendance record
- Excellent communication skills oral and written
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Best Instructional Practices
- Positive interpersonal skills
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and the community
- A willingness and demonstrated abilities conducive to a continuous quest for quality education.
- Ability to coordinate and work collaboratively with staff from non-public buildings
Essential Performance Duties:
- Tutor small groups of kindergarten through eighth grade students in math and reading
- Developing students’ cognitive capacity and respect for learning
- Positively fostering students’ self-esteem
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population
- Planning for and guiding the learning process to help students achieve program objectives
- Maintaining an atmosphere conducive to learning
- Implementing useful diagnostic and progress assessment measures
- Selecting and using effective instructional methods and learning materials
- Establishing a cooperative relationship with all assigned students
- Maintaining open lines of communication with parents/ guardians/ staff
- Engaging in professional growth activities through an ongoing program of job related knowledge and skill development
- Working collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the school’s program and support the District’s vision, aims and goals
- Integrating of the themes of leadership, technology, and communication with a diverse population
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with Omaha Public School’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Travel between non-public schools and/or OPS central office may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Exemplary attendance
- Ability to work the required number of hours
- Work in standard office and school building environment
- Exemplary communication skills, verbal and written
- Additional demands / duties as assigned by Title I Lead Teacher/Administrator
- Contact with personnel within the district and non-public schools
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the Title I Lead Teacher in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Must be able to maintain appropriate confidentiality at all times.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Terms of Employment:
This position is treated as a full-time exempt certified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment or teaching in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time, and the Teacher Contract. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
Terms of employment are contingent upon:
- Verification of a valid Nebraska Teaching License or other required license.
- A background check which demonstrates background is acceptable for the position sought and working with or around students.
- Verification of U.S. Citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required by federal law for your position).
- Execution and delivery to OPS of a Teacher Contract presented by OPS.
Salary Range: commensurate with education and experience / Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Omaha Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Nebraska. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Omaha Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job