Today the Classroom, Tomorrow the World
Roanoke Rapids Graded School District is a small, independent public school system located in northeastern North Carolina. It is one of only a handful of community school districts remaining in the state.
Roanoke Rapids School District comprises:
* 2 elementary schools (grades K-5) each with approximately 700 students
* 1 middle school (grades 6-8) with approximately 700 students
* 1 high school (grades 9-12) with approximately 890 students
* 200 certified teachers
The District has a long history of excellence and progressivism.
* First in North Carolina to offer twelve grades,
* First to offer kindergarten to all students,
* First to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools,
* Standardized Test Scores consistently above state and national averages,
* All classrooms equipped with access to intranet and internet,
* Programs for mentoring and licensing non-certified, “lateral entry” teachers,
* High success rate for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards,
* Officially recognized as one of two Paideia school districts in the United States.
Since 1988, the Roanoke Rapids Graded School District has been affiliated with the Paideia reform movement. Based on the work of philosopher Mortimer Adler, Paideia’s essential goal is to teach all students to think. To this end, the Paideia classroom combines three instructional techniques: didactic instruction, coaching of academic skills, and Socratic seminar discussion. Together, these three types of instruction have been shown to improve the literacy, problem solving, and cooperative skills of all students. Roanoke Rapids School District works collaboratively with the two national Paideia programs, the National Paideia Center, and the National Paideia Group. The district offers Paideia training to all it certified employees, and this training provides a solid foundation for National Board Certification. Paideia programs developed in the district have been presented in national education conferences across the nation and have been distinguished with three Governor’s Awards for Excellence in Education.
Roanoke Rapids is a city of 15,804 located just off Interstate 95, eight miles south of the North Carolina-Virginia border and 90 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean. Driving times to Raleigh, NC and Richmond, VA are one hour. Lake Gaston, a freshwater lake with 350 miles of shoreline may be reached within 15 minutes.
Roanoke Rapids School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Roanoke Rapids School District is a publicly funded organization
For More Information
To view this employer's contact or application information you must be a registered job seeker with Education America. If you are already a registered member log in below.
If you are not yet registered with Education America click here.
Any logos and trademarks of Roanoke Rapids School District are copyright Roanoke Rapids School District.
Education America does not take responsibility for the validity of any information provided by Roanoke Rapids School District. Individuals
should refer to the organization for clarification and confirmation. Information provided
directly from Roanoke Rapids School District will take precedence over any information provided on this site.