Grand Rapids Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Location: Various/To Be Determined
Bargaining Unit: Grand Rapids Education Association (GREA)
Salary: $38,000 and comprehensive benefits package
Earning Days: 195 Days or as annually determined by the contract
The General Music Teacher is responsible to prepare students in general music in multiple building.
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the duties, knowledge and skills outlined in this job description. This list is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for developing a high quality general music program using research based instructional strategies as the foundations for creating successful music
- Provide sound music instruction enabling all students to know and demonstrate the foundations of general music - singing techniques, music reading/literacy, and application of theoretical knowledge through; movement, instruments, musical game, etc.
- Provide rhythmic instructions so all students’ can count and clap age appropriate rhythmic patterns independently
- Develop lesson plans based on the music curriculum, the GRPS academic plan, support departmental goals, and students’ needs
- Implement a plan addressing all learning styles, which allows each student to succeed through differentiated instruction
- Plan and execute a minimum of two performances per building per year
- Communicate with feeder schools – middle school to establish program articulation and successful transition for students
- Evaluate student progress based on formal and informal assessment to inform instruction
- Grade students and input the data into the computer-based grading program
- Attend meetings and workshops to stay current with educational practice
- Provide a safe, effective classroom environment that is focused on learning and student growth
- Establish and maintain timely effective written/oral communication with students, parents, building and district level staff
- Create and maintain positive relations with students, parents, staff, and community
- Exercise good judgment implementing school district policies, procedures, guidelines, and law
- Serve as a role model for all students and within the school community
- Keeps organized classroom spaces, music library, student attendance
- Work effectively with diverse students and staff of various backgrounds
- Other duties as assigned
Parent and Community Engagement:
- Make and maintain regular, positive contact with parents via phone calls, email and/or home visits including communicating student progress.
- Establish and maintain effective written and oral communication and rapport with students, parents and colleagues.
- Participate in parent meetings, including IEP’s and Parent/Teacher Conferences.
- Contribute to the development of a positive attitude between the school and the wider community through cooperative relations, publications, competitions, etc.
- Contribute to community service and global citizenship goals
- Display physical, social, mental and emotional soundness in order to execute the duties of job.
- Serve as a role model for all students and within school community.
- Interact with co-workers, administration, students, parents and the community in positive, supportive and cooperative ways.
- Encourage the team spirit and contribute as a team member in the decision making processes of the school as facilitated by the building administrator.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required.
- Contribute to extra-curricular activities and school programs, including recess duty as requested
- Maintain and promote school district goals and objectives.
- Comply with state, federal and District policies, procedures, rules, and the union contract.
- Regular and on-time attendance is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- JX/JQ K-12 music teacher certification
- Degree in Music Education
- Must have transportation to travel between buildings
- Must be highly organized to maintain effective records for multiple buildings
- Successful teaching experience working in a diverse setting preferred
- Successful experience and training in Orff, Kodaly, and/or Gordon methodologies preferred
- Successful experience teaching K-5 general music preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of current research as to how children learn and the ability to motivate student to perform at their best
- Demonstrated ability to work in an economically, culturally, and racially diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction, by using a variety of styles, and inspire mixed culture and ability classes by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of the team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear (in a quiet or noisy environment), taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust/focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to moderate. Work is performed indoors although there will be required outdoor activities. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of students.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to compare, analyze, communicate both orally and in writing in the English language, copy, coordinate, instruct, compute, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, compile and negotiate.