Substitute School Nurse
This job has been closed
Wichita Public Schools
RN (Registered Nurse)
School / Org:
||Wichita Public Schools
No. of Positions:
||24 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Substitute School Nurse
Location: Multiple Locations
Position Function: Assumes the duties of the regularly assigned School Nurse in his/her absence. A substitute School Nurse is directly responsible to the administrator of the building in which they are working and for all expectations set forth by the Human Resources and Health Services Departments. The substitute should be prepared to follow the plans provided by the School Nurse and depend on his/her nursing skills to provide a healthy and safe environment for the students/staff.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Serves as a health advocate for the pupil
- Promotes wellness through periodic medical and dental examination for all pupils; assists in detecting and properly referring pupils with health concerns
- Collaborates with other school personnel including administrators, support staff, and teachers, toward the promotion of child health and its optimal interaction with education
- Counsels with pupils, parents, and school personnel concerning health needs or health concerns of pupils
- Works closely with family regarding the pupil's health needs, facilitating communication about health between the school, parents, and the pupil's health care provided
- Assists in the prevention and control of communicable diseases, including the monitoring of immunization status
- Is knowledgeable of community health resources and assists parents to utilize these resources
- Assists in providing emergency care for pupils and school personnel in case of injury or sudden illness until a lawful custodian assumes responsibility
- Attends to the health needs of the students quickly and in a competent manner. Handles all medical emergencies in a calm, efficient and expeditious manner. Must be able to remain calm under stressful situations and handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Follows regulations set forth in the Kansas Nurse Practice Act and also in Board Policies in the provision of health services to students and staff.
- Adheres strictly to professional ethics standards, including professionalism and confidentiality.
- Works in a positive and cooperative manner with students/staff in the school setting.
- Reviews job status i.e. dates, times, cancellations, number of days of the assignment etc. on the Absence Management System regularly.
- Willingness and flexibility to change an assignment when requested by the Substitute Office and/or Health Services Department.
Additional Duties: Assists with additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with USD 259’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited travel between schools and central offices may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Must be able to walk long distances, respond rapidly in emergency situations, stand for long periods of time, bend, twist, balance, stoop, climb steps, reach overhead
- Must be able to lift, push, pull up to 20 pounds or more with assistance, work five days a week, up to seven hours or more per day, or as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to use an AED
- Ability to use various medical equipment based on needs of the student
- Ability to use medical equipment, not limited to audiometers, tympanometers, otoscopes and vision screening equipment
- Ability to communicate both verbally and written in order to communicate with others inside and outside of the organization for the purpose of giving and obtaining information
- Ability to communicate effectively with a Supervisor when their discretion is needed
- Ability to perform as an effective team player
- Ability to plan, organize, make decisions and prioritize work to meet the daily demands of the building
- Exhibit a professional manner and a positive attitude
- Use good judgment to make decisions on recurring assignments
- Display a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance
- Knowledge of company’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position
- Current Kansas Nursing License. LPN required. RN preferred
- BSN or related Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Current professional level CPR/AED certification
- Complete a one-day Substitute Nurse Orientation training course
- Experience in pediatrics preferred
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job