Elementary Art Teacher
This job has been closed
Wichita Public Schools
School / Org:
||Buckner Elementary School
No. of Positions:
||24 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Elementary Art Teacher (.60 FTE)
Location: Buckner Elementary School
Position Function: Under the general supervision of the School Principal, the Secondary Art Instructor – assists students with:
- Generating, conceptualizing, organizing and developing artistic ideas and work
- Analyzing, interpreting, selecting artistic work for presentation
- Developing and refining artistic techniques
- Conveying meaning through the presentation of artistic work
- Perceiving, analyzing, interpreting meaning in artistic work
- Applying criteria to evaluate artwork
- Relating artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural and historical context to deepen understanding
- Synthesizing and relating knowledge and personal experiences to make art
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a strong scholarly foundation in art education and has a clear conception of how art links students to the broad experiences of life. Uses relevant approaches and theories to align art education curricula and practices to the standards, goals, and policies of the state and local district.
- Demonstrates knowledge, competency and teaching ability in the content of art, including aesthetics, art history, art criticism, and studio performance. Uses elements and principles of design to create and discuss effective artworks. Relates visual perception to the aesthetic experience. Plans lessons and presents studio experiences in drawing, painting, collage, printmaking, photography, digital imaging, clay, metals, fibers, other three dimensional media, casting, modeling and constructing.
- Creates an environment where individuals, art content and inquiry are held in high regard and where students can actively learn and create. Implements appropriate safety practices when using art tools and operating equipment.
- Selects and adapts a variety of appropriate resources, materials and technologies in order to design a curriculum which enables students to learn, make, and respond to art. - Uses the goals and philosophy for art education to develop an art curriculum aligned to local, district and state standards and policies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of collaborative and promotional strategies for working with colleagues, families and community groups to achieve common goals for enriching the art program, enhancing students’ learning and improving schools.
- Understands the purposes, principles, and design of assessments, as well as the importance of regular monitoring, analysis and evaluation for assessing student and program improvement. Encourages student self-assessment as a part of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrates knowledge of professional art organizations, continues professional development, and shows responsibility to the field of art.
Additional Duties: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Physical and Mental Demands: Work in standard office and school building environments.
Equipment: Must be able to use basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with USD 259’s guidelines for equipment use.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current art instructional teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles
- Knowledge of art curriculum and concepts
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed
- Ability to organize and coordinate work
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance
- Knowledge of company's mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position
- State Certification as an Art Teacher or as required for position
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment
- Master’s Degree preferred
FSLA Status: Exempt
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job