Temporary Aide - WSU Education Co-op
Wichita Public Schools
Teacher Assistant - Elem.
School / Org:
||Wichita Public Schools
No. of Positions:
||20 September 2017
||Open Until Filled
Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Temporary Aide - WSU Education Co-op
Applicants must be a Wichita State University student and be enrolled in the Cooperative Education Program.
Position Function: A Temporary Aide (Coop) functions as a classroom paraeducator for a limited time period. This position holds no benefits, such as health insurance, temporary leave, etc. Candidates do not have to meet the minimum qualifications for a paraeducator such as the 48 hours of college education or have passed the ParaPro test.
Co-ops help to deliver educational programs in the elementary or secondary educational systems. Their role is vital in today’s classroom. The main function of the Co-op is to support the teacher working with individual or groups of students. The Co-op is assigned to meet the needs of specific students and/or program needs within the school. They work alongside and under the guidance of teacher(s) who is ultimately responsible for the education of all students in the class and the Co-op serves as a support.
The development of the Co-op role is to link academic assistance, communication and/or understanding between the school, classroom teacher, families and community by assisting at the school conference, gathering or events.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Will spend a large portion of their time in the classroom or instructional settings
- Assist students with lessons or tutor individual students under direct supervision of the classroom teacher
- Genuinely committed to helping children learn - assist students and reinforce concepts for individuals or small groups
- Work with teachers to modify activities to meet individual student’s needs
- Assist teachers in monitoring, collecting data, and maintaining records regarding student performance and progress
- Assist in the maintenance of learning areas and/or learning centers and instructional materials and use appropriate educational technology and resources
- Display patience and understanding while managing children
- Ability to work in demanding situations and still maintain a sense of order
- Understand and be sensitive to the obstacles facing the children under supervision. Teach self-help, problem solving and/or coping skills
- Recognize individual learning styles and become knowledgeable of the characteristics of learners you serve (e.g., cultural background, language proficiency, mobility and family dynamics)
- Challenge students to fulfill their potential
- Document parent contacts and inform appropriate personnel. Many contacts are required for students’ supplemental services
- Be an active part of an educational team within the students you serve
- Knowledge of various philosophies and theories of education
- Knowledge and skills in working within a multidisciplinary context
Additional Duties: Assists with additional duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with USD 259’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: Limited to no travel required.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Be able to work in various weather conditions
- Be able to react immediately to an emergency situation for the safety and welfare of the students and staff, which may include the use of physical restraint technique
- Be able to walk long distances, stand for long periods, bend, twist, balance, stoop, climb steps and reach overhead
- Possess the manual dexterity, physical ability and stamina for a full day of physical activity
- Be able to see and hear well
- Additional demands upon request of Supervisor
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintain high level of confidentiality of information regarding students and staff information and issues
- Model appropriate behavior for students
- Develop and maintain a professional rapport with classroom teacher and other staff
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of students, staff, and parents
- Communicate with students, parents, instructional and support staff by letter, phone, e-mail, fax or personal contact as directed by the administrator or classroom teacher
- Observe and chart student behavior and assist in discipline of student as instructed by the teacher
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and organize
- Demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness
- Assist with grading, marking papers and checking homework
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, PLCs and parent conferences as required
- Assist students to and from buses and assisting the drivers until departure time
- Assist in the transportation of students
- Assist in caring for student’s medical needs when under the direct supervision of the school nurse or other appropriate professional
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance
- Knowledge of company's mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position
- HS Diploma or GED
- Must be a WSU student enrolled in the co-op program
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job