Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Library Media Specialist
Location: Gardiner Elementary School
Position Function: The role of the School Library Media Specialist is to teach students how to find, evaluate and use information effectively as well as to promote an appreciation of literature by ensuring that students and teachers are effective users of ideas and information.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Teach students to use critical thinking and problem solving skills for information literacy using the Kansas Curricular Standards for Library Media and national standards as set forth by the American Library Association
- Instruct students, staff and the community to analyze learning and information needs, to locate and use resources that will meet those needs, and to evaluate, understand and communicate the information those resources provide
- Be knowledgeable about current research on teaching and learning; skilled in applying findings to a variety of situations – particularly those that call upon students to access, evaluate, and use information from multiple sources in order to learn, to think, to create and to apply knowledge
- Collaborate with Teachers and others to support curriculum content, learning outcomes, student information needs, and information resources
- Help Teachers and others to meet state and district instructional standards in the Library Media Program
- Work with the entire school community to provide leadership in developing policies, practices, and curricula that guide students to develop information literacy skills
- Teach strategies for locating, accessing and evaluating information by integrating both electronic and printed resources
- Acquire and evaluate information resources in a variety of formats
- Bring an awareness of information issues to Teachers, Administrators, students and others.
- Model and articulate ethical uses of information
Additional Duties: Assists with additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with USD 259’s guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: In-district travel is required.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Must be able to walk long distances
- Respond rapidly in emergency situations
- Stand for long periods of time, bend, twist, balance, stoop, climb steps, reach overhead, lift, push, pull up to 20 pounds or more with assistance
- Work five days a week, up to seven hours or more per day, or as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, ability to be flexible when asked to perform numerous tasks simultaneously, perform under deadlines and work in a calm, sensible and efficient manner
- Ability to organize, coordinate and communicate effectively
- Computer expertise in library, application software and Internet use
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance
- Knowledge of company's mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position
- Kansas teaching license
- Kansas library media endorsement
FSLA Status: Exempt
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job