Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Dance Teacher 17/18 SY
Location: Buckner Elementary School
Additional Information: Dance Teacher (Kansas PE teaching certification required)
Position Purpose: Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' physical skills and abilities, strength, agility, poise, coordination, and teamwork; to develop students' understanding of the importance of exercise to physical and mental well-being; and to motivate students to work towards, physical fitness, hygiene, and good health
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Develops and administers Physical Education classes consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Teaches knowledge of, and develops skills and abilities in, physical fitness, rhythm and dance, coordination and agility, exercise, and sports,
- Develops students' concepts in leadership, teamwork, responsibility and social skills; providing a safe and optimal learning environment; and appropriate feedback to regarding student progress, expectations, and goals.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student growth and progress in physical educational activities, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Assists in coordinating extra-curricular activities, including student performances, assembles, and athletic events.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within physical education and grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Inspects equipment and field areas used to ensure they are in good and safe working order.
Additional Duties: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Equipment: Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel Requirements: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current physical education instructional methods, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding education and students, as well as relating to health education.
- Knowledge of physiology, health and nutrition, biology and biological functions, anatomy, hygiene, exercise, and best ways to promote physical and mental well-being.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands:
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position.
- Kansas State Certification as a Physical Education Teacher.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FSLA Status: Exempt
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job