This job has been closed
Wichita Public Schools
School / Org:
||Wichita Public Schools
No. of Positions:
||20 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Wichita Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Accountability: Reports to Substitute Office
Position Function: The primary job of the Substitute Custodian is to assist the custodial staff of a building in providing a clean, safe and sanitary environment for the students and staff. Perform a variety of custodial tasks for the building or campus while the regular custodian is off. It is the Substitute Custodian’s responsibility to use SubFinder and work with the Substitute Office for daily assignments.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
1. Perform daily duties that may include, but not limited to:
· Dust all flat surfaces
· Empty wastebaskets
· Empty pencil sharpeners
· Sweep floors
· Straighten desks
· Mop and/or spot mop
· Clean equipment and replacing supplies
· Clean and service restrooms
· Sweep assigned hallways, stairs and landings
· Lower flag if necessary
· Clean gym, locker room and auditorium
· Assist with the clean up of the lunchroom
2. Perform weekly duties, which may include, but not limited to:
· High dusting
· Carpet spotting
· Replace light bulbs as needed
· Clean whiteboards
· Strip, seal and wax floors
· Wash walls and furniture
· Clean carpets
3. Perform energy management functions such as:
· Turn off daylights and/or turn on night-lights
· Turn off water in urinals
· Unplug water fountains
· Other items requested by the supervisor as found in the energy management guidelines
4. Consult with Supervising Building Custodian and/or Head Custodian relating to school activities and community use of building and arrange needed services and cleaning
5. Respond to office and staff request (including set-up of TV, VCR, audio systems, etc.)
6. Report building maintenance needs or supplies and equipment needs to Supervising Building Custodian and/or Head Custodian
7. Secure building - check windows, doors, lights and turn on security system before leaving building
8. Remove marks from floors and graffiti from walls as needed
9. Spray buff hard surface floors as requested
10. Perform duties relating to recycling as requested
11. Respond to emergencies in an appropriate manner
12. Perform other duties as necessary or requested by the Head Custodian or administration
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance
- Knowledge of company's mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written.
- Knowledge of asbestos information.
- Knowledge of mechanical operations.
- Knowledge of custodial duties and functions as required by the APPA Level 2 or higher standards.
- Knowledge of procedures for hazardous materials and bio-hazardous materials.
- Must be able to read and comprehend MSDS information.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Ability to work with an online substitute placement system
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of USD 259 and is appropriate for their position
This position requires the ability to use computers and standard custodial equipment. Must always comply with USD 259’s guidelines for equipment use.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Wichita Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Wichita Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job