Middle School Special Education Teacher - Low Incidence
Kansas City Kansas Public Schools
School / Org:
||Kansas City, Kansas
No. of Positions:
||8 November 2017
||31 December 2017
Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Middle School Special Education Teacher - Low Incidence
Job Goal: To provide students with the ability to obtain knowledge, information, skills and to have a sense of self-worth and dignity that will help them be successful.
- To advocate for the rights of students with special needs.
- Schedules and attends IEP meetings; works with multi-disciplinary team to diagnose needs, structure, develop and implement IEP for each student identified.
- Defines, structures and communicates daily expectations according to IEP including but not limited to course goals, objectives, learning methods and activities.
- Communicates with team members on instructional and behavioral strategies and objectives, students' grasp of material and their outcomes, and perspectives for applications of materials learned.
- Develops positive professional working relationships with student, parents, teachers, administrators and other service providers.
- Controls classroom and individual behavior; adapts and adjusts course content and reading levels to specific skills to be taught; discerns means of building memory and study skills; and, assists individual students in achieving learning objectives by working with them individually and in small groups.
- Delivers instruction geared toward the Common Core Essential Elements and assess students using the Dynamic Learning Maps Assessment.
- Prepares displays, events, and reinforcement activities which encourage participation in the classroom and community settings.
Evaluates and Communicates:
- Plans assessments for evaluation to include but not limited to various diagnostic techniques: standardized survey and criterion-referenced tests; teacher developed oral and written assessments; student personal indices (effort, potential, interests, and memory).
- Designs subject-based reinforcement to follow assessments and students' learning objectives (computer, lab activities, working independently or on group projects, field/community reinforcement).
- Collects and enters data in computer, on charts, from observations and reports progress in growth and development and results regularly as required.
Manages the Classroom:
- Designs classroom rules for student interaction (courtesy and respect for belongings, space and ideas), self-control, working independently, appropriately gaining the floor, and accepting reminders from teacher; designs systems for handling all behavior (from simple infractions to severe behavior).
- Prepares physical condition of classroom to reflect subject matter to facilitate student learning.
- Keeps daily records on but not limited to student attendance, learning and social needs, assignments, assessments and discipline; supervises paraprofessional(s).
- Manages all job duties with the mobility, agility, dexterity and focused observation to meet job standards of performance.
OTHER DUTIES: (Others may be assigned)
- Participates in teacher committee work and attends teacher meetings and professional development
- Daily lunch count and lunchroom duty as assigned.
Supervision of paraprofessionals as assigned
- Prepares and/or escorts students to travel to special classes.
- Supervises bus loading and unloading as required.
- Attends programs and events related to school.
- Attends to studentís personal care needs
Qualifications: Certified by Kansas State Department of Education and holds current license in Low Incidence/Functional Special Education.
- Must support district mission, goals and objectives.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of appropriate instructional practices for students with low-incidence disabilities; course content; classroom management; appropriate discipline techniques; ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Must demonstrate ability to use audio and visual and regular classroom equipment any applicable adaptive equipment.
- Must demonstrate skills and abilities in leadership, planning, communication, coordination, decision-making, handling emergency situations, patience, imagination, organization.
- Must achieve objectives in the IEP for students' needs and as projected to assist in curriculum and performance outcomes.
- Must have a plan for personal professional growth activities including but not limited to those supplied by the district; professional growth activities will be evidenced by recorded efforts to improve classroom management and student achievement.
- Must meet all district safety requirements.
- Performance evaluation performed annually by Supervisor.
Attendance Requirements: As required in policy.
Organizational Relationship: The Special Education Classroom teacher will be under the immediate supervision of the Principal of the building to which assigned.
- Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
- Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
- Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
- Compiles data for statistical purposes.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
- Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation.
- Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
- Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
- Performs other related work as required.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general curriculum and learning theories, correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally push items of 50 pounds such as pushing on a bike or wheelchair, or moving/rearranging furniture. While performing the duties of the job the employee occasionally may visit a childís home. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Moderate environmental conditions and noise levels will occur. May be required to wear protective equipment including gloves for exposure control under limited circumstances.
Terms of Employment: 186 days
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Special Education Administration/Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education
Primary Location: Eisenhower Middle
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job