School Nurse, RN
This job has been closed
Kansas City Kansas Public Schools
||RN (Registered Nurse)
School / Org:
||Kansas City Kansas Public Schools
||Kansas City, Kansas
No. of Positions:
||3 October 2017
||31 December 2017
Kansas City Kansas Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
School Nurse, RN
Job Goal: To provide direct nursing services to students and staff members, and to maximize health and wellness in the school community. All duties are performed in accordance with district/state board of education policies and procedures and state law regarding the Nurse Practice Act.
- Must possess sufficient strength, endurance, and skill to provide direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff guided by the nursing process and in accordance with professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates.
- Must be able to perform CPR and use an AED (if available)
- Administers medication with appropriate documentation.
- Able to perform nursing procedures within their scope of practice.
- Participates in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions, and the related archival responsibilities.
- Performs mandated screening procedures for vision and hearing.
- Provides follow-up evaluations on students as required.
- Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Monitors compliance of school health program with federal, state and local laws, regulations and policies.
- Manages health room efficiently.
- Prepares health reports for supervisor and health department.
- Collaborates with other agencies in designing and providing services to our students.
- Collaborates with teachers regarding health education and the state curriculum (K-12).
- Serves as a resource person on health issues.
- Provides staff development on health-related topics for school staff.
- Participates in the development of the school emergency health and crises plan.
- Where applicable, delegating, monitoring and evaluating aides/assistants/staff members in assigned nursing procedures.
- Identification of students with special health care needs.
- Development of emergency action plans for students at risk of medical crises at school or during a school function.
- Monitoring of individual health care plans (IHP) for students who need invasive procedures performed during the school day.
- Provide health related consultation as a member of the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) team.
- Ability to work an 8 hour duty day in the location or locations assigned by the supervisor.
- Physical and emotional ability to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced, highly intensive school environment.
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in Kansas
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation program completion
- Maintain CPR status according to American Heart Association Guidelines.
- Experience in school nursing preferred
- Computer literacy and competency in use of existing technology preferred
- Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
- Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
- Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
- Compiles data for statistical purposes.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
- Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation.
- Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
- Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
- Performs other related work as required.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Language Skills: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, general school nurse correspondence, and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally push items of 50 pounds such as pushing on a bike ore wheelchair, or moving/rearranging furniture. While performing the duties of the job the employee occasionally may visit a child’s home. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Is directly responsible for students’ safety, work output and well-being.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community; ability to speak clear and concisely in written or oral communication.
Terms of Employment: 186 days
Salary: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Reports To: Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education policy
Primary Location: TBD (to be determined)
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Kansas City Kansas Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Kansas. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Kansas City Kansas Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job