Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Secondary Mathematics Teacher
Location or Department: Arsenal Technical High School
Summary of Essential Job Functions: The teacher will plan, carry out, evaluate, and supervise instructional activities in mathematics for groups and individual middle school and/or high school students. These teachers will also advise students in community internships, work experience, and academic activities.
Education: Bachelor's Degree required
License: Must hold valid Indiana State Teacher's License in Secondary Mathematics, or be eligible for license.
Experience: Extensive training in and knowledge of current math instructional techniques – Demonstrated effective teaching and computer skills – Experience with high school students. Preferred experience teaching Algebra for End of Course Assessment.
- Work with other teachers to develop and organize a technology-based, project-based, team-taught integrated humanities curriculum that meets state, district, and school standards.
- Use rubric-based authentic assessment methods to evaluate student progress and adapt individual programs to meet student needs.
- Maintain current and complete online records, projects, calendars, journals, and portfolios, and submit reports promptly.
- Post syllabus, projects/lessons, and grades online to be accessible to students, parents, and community.
- Maintain a classroom environment consistent with established codes of conduct and conducive to positive learning.
- Establish and maintain excellent rapport with students, parents, staff members, and community members.
- Work cooperatively with other personnel to improve instructional programs and the overall operation of the school.
- Supervise classroom aides and volunteers effectively, when appropriate.
- Attend and participate in required in-service activities and assist in planning and conducting such activities.
- Communicate electronically with students, parents, and other staff members concerning student academic progress, attendance, and behavior.
- Participate in all meetings called by supervisor(s), consistent with the current employer/employee agreement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small group, and large group situations.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to find, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above job description is designed to denote the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.