Health Services Coordinator
This job has been closed
Indianapolis Public Schools
||Health & Safety
School / Org:
||Indianapolis Public Schools
No. of Positions:
||20 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Health Services Coordinator
Location or Department: Special Education
Job Summary: The Health Services Coordinator works with schools to oversee health and medical services for students in Indianapolis Public Schools. This person efficiently and effectively plans, organizes, directs and implements a comprehensive district-wide school health program. The Health Services Coordinator facilitates the IPS Wellness Program and is also the Districtís 504 coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Health Services Coordinator oversees and facilitates the day-to-day execution of health and medical services for students in Indianapolis Public Schools. The Health Services Coordinator is specifically responsible for the following:
- Supervises and evaluates the nurses at each school;
- Works with families, agencies, and medical providers regarding the health and medical needs of students;
- Communicating effectively and respectfully with students, families, staff and medical providers;
- Plans career development and staff meetings for the medical staff;
- Manages, motivates, and develops staff;
- Assures that all health and medical procedures are communicated to the school personnel and oversee the implementation of services;
- Works with school administrators, staff, the Indiana Department of Education, the Indiana State Department of Health and Marion County Public Health Department to meet legal requirements and reporting requirements;
- Manages partnership with school nursing contractors in collaboration with Special Education Officer and IPS administration
- Participates in 504 conferences for students with involved health/medical needs;
- Participates in the ADAAA conferences for employees with health/medical needs;
- Plans and implements health/medical in-service training for schools;
- Represents IPS in community meetings regarding health issues;
- Serves on District committees;
- Chairs the Coordinated School Health Advisory Council;
- Works with school administrators and staff to ensure the success of the IPS Wellness Program;
- Communicates effectively, and in a timely manner, with parents and guardians of students to address complaints, issues and concerns;
- Perform duties assigned by the Special Education Officer.
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
- Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy
- Results/action-orientation; project management skills
- Organizational agility; developed negotiation skills
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
- Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Strong strategic analysis skills
Qualifications: This role provides privileged access to the inner workings between Indianapolis Public Schools and health/medical service providers and partner organizations. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS). In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Masters of Science Degree in Nursing;
- Current Indiana Registered Nurse License;
- Current Indiana School Services Personnel License in Nursing;
- At least 5 years of experience preferably in Community Health, School Health and/or Pediatric Nursing;
- Must possess successful experiences working with a diverse population of students and faculty;
- Working knowledge of federal and state special education laws (IDEA and Article 7), rules, and practices;
- Working knowledge of state and federal school health laws, Indiana Nurse Practice Act, HIPAA and FERPA privacy laws;
- Broad knowledge of Indiana and IPS special education policies, procedures and programs;
- Broad knowledge of Indiana and IPS school health policies, procedures and programs;
- Understanding of state and federal funding for education including special education, Section 504, school health and wellness
- Ability to be creative in developing alternatives to meet the health/medical needs of students;
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of actors;
- Excellent communication skills and strong analytical and writing capabilities;
- Close attention to detail coupled with the ability to exercise good judgment;
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Proactive nature; able to anticipate conflicts before they arise;∑ Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively;
- Ability to execute meetings, calls and emails with professionalism, courtesy and accuracy;
- Personal qualities of maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and diligence; and
- Ability to effectively allocate and prioritize time to several tasks to ensure completion of all.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
The IPS Health Services Coordinator directly manages the implementation of all health/medical supports, resources, and relationships with schools and partner organizations.
Provides nursing staff supervision and evaluation
Personal Work Relationships:
The individual in this position works with a wide range of health/medical staff, schools, school administrators and service providers on routine and diverse problems encountered to fulfill its duties. The individual must possess and employ a variety of personal and interpersonal skills in the discharge of the positionís responsibilities. This position requires a positive attitude when dealing with staff and health/medical constituents. Good judgment, discretion and individual initiative are necessary for the effective discharge of the positionís significant responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and use hands to complete tasks requiring fine motor skills including writing and typing. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include near vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described in this document are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Indianapolis Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Indiana. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Indianapolis Public Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job