Indianapolis Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Career Academy Coordinator
Location or Department: Broad Ripple Magnet High School Performing Arts
Purpose of Position/Summary:
The Career Academy Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing 2-3 Academies with each academy containing 2-4 career pathway options for students. The CAC works collaboratively with administrators, student services personnel, and teachers to ensure the successful implementation of career academies (Information Technology, Health Sciences, Construction/Engineering, Business, Education, Visual and Performing Visual & Performing Arts, International Baccalaureate. and Logistics). CACs facilitate linkages with parents, business/industry, postsecondary institutions, and community organizations to support studentsí transition to postsecondary education and employment.
- Collaborating with local industry partners and pathway teachers to develop curriculum aligned to industry need in each respective career pathway
- Partnering with school leadership to facilitate the hiring of excellent pathway instructors with the appropriate industry experience
- Providing professional development for Career & Technical Education (CTE) and Pathway teachers in order to continuously improve student outcomes
- Monitor key deliverables from CTE, IB, and Performing Arts - Pathway instructors including but not limited to: dual credit attainment, advisory board meetings, industry certifications, pathway enrollment, etc.
- Work with Graduation Coaches and the Student Services Team to track student post-secondary planning and placement
- Provide career development, occupation, labor market, non-traditional career, and post-secondary information to building administrators, counselors, and teachers
- Collaborate with counselors to assist students with selection of appropriate academic and CTE courses
- Coordinate career planning activities in classrooms, groups, or individual sessions
- Assist students with post-secondary education and employment opportunities
- Provide and coordinate activities for students to develop employability skills
- Promote the integration of career concepts and work-based learning opportunities into academic courses
- Facilitate a continuum of work-based learning opportunities for students in grades 8-12
- Promote career awareness, exploration, and planning
- Serve as liaison to facilitate business, education, and community partnerships that provide opportunities for students and support development of high quality CTE pathways
- Engage in professional growth opportunities to remain current with trends, demands, and emerging careers in a rapidly changing workforce
- Other duties as assigned by CTE Director
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university, Administrative License and two to three years related experience and/or training in Administration. Experience in medical related fields is preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as scripts, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, parents, students, or employees of IPS. Be able to speak Spanish.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing, spreadsheet software, and eSchool.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Valid Indiana Teacher's license. Valid Indiana Administrative License.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Serve as direct report for all Academy Teachers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.