Executive Director - Business Services/Board Treasurer
Cedar Rapids Community Schools
School / Org:
||Cedar Rapids, Iowa
No. of Positions:
||5 February 2018
||Open Until Filled
Cedar Rapids Community Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Executive Director - Business Services/Board Treasurer
Date Available: July 1, 2018
Reports To: Superintendent of Schools
Summary: All Business Services Managers including the Managers of Accounting, Buildings & Grounds, Custodial & Grounds, Food & Nutrition, Purchasing/Warehouse and Transportation
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the budget development and fiscal planning activities of the District, including the preparation of all budget documents.
- Direct, supervise and evaluate all Business Services Managers.
- Review, monitor, and evaluate key financial trends of the District on a monthly basis and report any issues of concern directly to the Superintendent.
- Provide timely financial statements and reports to the Board of Education in a format that is clear and understandable.
- Guide, direct, and train members of the Superintendentís Cabinet in understanding financial information as needed.
- Provide information and assistance to all District management staff to make good informed business decisions.
- Assist in communicating clear and understandable financial information to staff inside the school District and community at large.
- Direct all financing and cash management requirements of the School District, including the sale of bonds, anticipatory warrants, and the investment of reserve funds.
- Utilize the expertise of the Districtís external auditors to monitor and improve internal control processes, maintain compliance with all financial reporting requirements and insure that audited financial reports accurately present the financial position of the District.
- Keep abreast of new developments in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for governments and schools, and all applicable Federal, State and local laws governing financial reporting requirements.
- Supervise and control the timely preparation and filing of all required financial reports.
- Establish, implement, and monitor compliance with accounting policies and guidelines.
- Work closely with staff in the District Human Resources, Technology Department, Business Services Departments and Grant Wood Area Education Agency to continually improve all data processing, handling and retention systems related to all Business Services areas.
- Support staff negotiating teams by reviewing and providing advice regarding the accuracy and relevancy of package costing data as well as assisting with the negotiations process as needed upon request.
- Assist the Human Resources Department in the evaluation and selection of Business Services personnel as needed.
- Serve as Chairperson to the District Safety Committee coordinating all related activities.
- Support the Chairperson of the District Audit Committee coordinating all related activities.
- Communicates effectively with the superintendent regarding the requirements and needs for his/her areas of responsibility.
- Assumes primary responsibility for evaluating the effectiveness of and making improvements in programs and services in his/her areas of responsibility.
- Serves as a member of the Superintendentís cabinet.
- Prepares and monitors program budgets for the allocation of resources in the areas of responsibility in coordination with superintendent.
- Supervises the preparation and submission of all required federal, state, and district reports relating to the areas of responsibility.
- Maintains effective, cooperative and professional working relationships with colleagues, superiors, and the Board of Directors.
- Meets and continues to meet the Six Standards for School Leaders as described by the Iowa Department of Education.(see below)
- Works efficiently, effectively, and cost-efficiently to ensure the District Strategic Plan and the Departmental Strategic Plan are met. To that end, serves as goal champion for identified action plans.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous improvement and quality initiatives.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Essential Skills / Aptitudes:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional Software (Excel, Access, Power Point and Word), Internet technology, and Outlook email software.
- Ability to communicate with and build positive relationships with administrators, customers, staff, and community members.
- Effective oral and written communication. Proficiency in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and related communication skills, including proofreading, editing, and creating original documents. Excellent written and oral communication skills via electronic, telecommunications, or personal interactions.
- Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to respond effectively in crisis situations.
- Ability to problem solve independently and with others, take initiative, and work independently without supervision.
- Demonstrated commitment to report to work as scheduled on a regular and reliable basis.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and assume responsibility.
- Capacity to represent the District in a professional manner, which includes but not limited to confidentiality, collegiality, and the ability to obtain and utilize additional training, if necessary.
- Aptitude for detail.
- Ability to work as a team member.
Other Essential Qualities:
- Believes that all children can attain high levels of learning.
- Takes responsibility for the learning of our children and the performance of our staff.
- Possesses the knowledge and skills to build effective educational experiences that benefit all children.
- Applies the principles of continuous improvement through the use of quality tools and processes.
- Functions as an effective member of the administrative team.
- Wonít shy from todayís educational challenges.
- Utilizes effective interpersonal skills.
- Has a track record of success.
- Works with great integrity.
Education and/or Experience: Masterís of Business Administration (MBA) and/or CPA preferred, but will consider candidates with experience in similar school business setting and/or who have a college degree in a business related field.
Required Certifications: Iowa School Business Management Academy Certification preferred
Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and implement ideas contained in technical documents, reports, regulations, etc. Ability to effectively write reports and communications to administrators, colleagues, parents, students and staff. Ability to effectively present information orally and respond to questions from administrators, teachers, staff and students.
Ability to perform basic mathematical functions. Ability to use spreadsheets and reporting documents that assist with the computation of data.
Ability to solve problems effectively. Ability to interpret and implement a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Iowa Standards for School Leaders:
Standard #1: An educational leader promotes the success of all students by facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community. (Shared Vision)
a. In collaboration with others, uses appropriate data to establish rigorous, concrete goals in the context of student achievement and instructional programs.
b. Uses research and/or best practices in improving the educational program.
c. Articulates and promotes high expectations for teaching and learning.
d. Aligns and implements the educational programs, plans, actions, and resources with the districtís vision and goals.
e. Provides leadership for major initiatives and change efforts.
f. Communicates effectively to various stakeholders regarding progress with school improvement plan goals.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Cedar Rapids Community Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Iowa. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Cedar Rapids Community Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job