Project Lead the Way Engineering & Construction Tech/Woodwork Teacher
Cedar Rapids Community Schools
School / Org:
||Kennedy High School
||Cedar Rapids, Iowa
No. of Positions:
||9 November 2017
||Open Until Filled
Cedar Rapids Community Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Project Lead the Way Engineering and Construction Tech/Woodworking Teacher
Location: Kennedy High School
Summary: Provides classroom instruction for Project Lead the Way (PLTW) courses. Possesses an overall passion for project, problem-based learning with authentic application. Ensures all students acquire the course level objectives set by the National PLTW Curriculum. Provides classroom instruction for Industrial Technology, specifically in Woods and/or Construction Technology.
Career and Technical Education Endorsement
Completion of or ability to complete PLTW Summer training
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Essential duties must be performed on site. Other duties or tasks may be assigned.
- Develops and implements programming associated with Project Lead the Way Engineering to be delivered in a classroom setting for high school students.
- Develops and implements programming for Construction Technology classes for high school students.
- Supports and implements the district curriculum, standards and benchmarks.
- Assists High School staff with strategies to support and meet students’ needs and achievement of academic goals.
- Provides active communication and positive relationships with parents and community members.
- Assists in planning and delivery of social/emotional/behavioral school-wide programming.
- Assists and collaborates with the principal, school counselor, staff, parents and students on matters pertaining to student achievement.
- Maintains appropriate records and protects the confidentiality of data.
- Meets the 8 Iowa Teaching Standards and 42 criteria on a consistent basis.
- Reports to work as scheduled on a regular and reliable basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Career and Technical Education Endorsement
- Experience in classroom teaching in 9th – 12th grade preferred.
- Project Lead the Way training in Introduction to Engineering Design and Principles of Engineering (or ability to complete summer training)
Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and implement ideas contained in technical documents, assessment data, professional journals and regulations. Ability to effectively write reports and communications to students, colleagues, parents and staff. Ability to effectively present information orally and respond to questions from administrators, teachers, staff and students. Ability to assist students in the areas of language and literacy.
Ability to perform basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, decimals and fractions. Ability to assist students in implementing these mathematical concepts.
Ability to solve problems effectively. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Believes that all children can attain high levels of learning.
- Takes responsibility for the learning of our children and his/her own performance.
- Possesses the knowledge and skills to build effective educational experiences that benefit all children.
- Applies the principles of continuous improvement through the use of quality tools and processes.
- Functions as an effective member of the educational/school team.
- Won’t shy from today’s educational challenges.
- Utilizes effective interpersonal skills.
- Has a track record of success.
- Works with great integrity.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Iowa Teaching Certification with an endorsement in content area required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Ability to apply knowledge of current research as it relates to the support of the Educational Goals of the District. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community. Ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle and/or feel objects, tools or controls; talk and hear. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and forward 0 -24 inches and on occasion up to 36 inches. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp items. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds 0 - 12 feet and occasionally up to 20 feet, such as curriculum materials, desks, chairs, and boxes. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables and carts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus while supervising students and working with computers, written materials, reports, assessment data, etc.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made too enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The position requires the commitment of professional working hours that may require the employee to extend beyond a typical 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. workday. The employee will frequently work in different areas of the classroom including in/at desks, on or near the floor, standing, in movement while supervising indoor and outdoor activities, etc. The employee will usually work in indoor temperatures but will work outdoors when supervising students outside of the classroom.
The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
It is the policy of the Cedar Rapids Community School District not to illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, religion, creed, age (employment only), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and socioeconomic status (students/program only) in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Rod Dooley, Director of Student Equity, 2500 Edgewood Rd NW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405; 319-558-3094
The Cedar Rapids Community School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The district does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability.
Federal law obligates an employer to provide reasonable accommodation(s) for the known disabilities of applicants, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship on the employer. If you or someone you know requires accommodation in the hiring process, contact the Executive Director of Human Resources, at 319-558-2421.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Cedar Rapids Community Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Iowa. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Cedar Rapids Community Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job