Secretary (Local School)
This job has been closed
Shelby County Schools
School / Org:
||Columbiana Middle School
No. of Positions:
||23 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Shelby County Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Secretary (Local School)
Location: Columbiana Middle School
Starting Date: Immediately
1. High school diploma or GED
2. Working knowledge of e-mail processes required
3. One year of computer experience required
4. Working knowledge of basic office procedures and business equipment
5. Keyboarding proficiency-50 words per minute
6. Effective telephone skills required
7. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable.
Reports To: Principal
Job Goal: To assure the smooth and efficient operation of the school office so that the maximum positive impact on the education of children can be realized.
1. Expected work day: eight (8) hours.
2. Regular and punctual attendance required.
3. Provide clerical support in a multi-task work environment requiring the ability to prioritize tasks carefully for the accomplishment of goals.
4. Substitute for and assist support co-workers as assigned to complete required tasks.
5. Assist in the process of personnel transactions as directed.
6. Supervise the activities of parent volunteers, student office aides and certain support personnel as assigned.
7. Act as a liaison between parents, students, teachers, and support groups as assigned.
8. Assist with the dispensing of medication and the handling of emergencies as assigned to provide for the health and safety of students.
9. Assist with Child Nutrition Program low balance, lunch forms and other paper work as directed.
10. Assist with the textbook program, including typing and issuing forms, managing textbook return-payment process as assigned.
11. Assist with summer school registration, summer work permits and other duties as assigned.
12. Assist with the Early Warning Court program as assigned.
13. Update, publish, and distribute school handbooks and other materials as assigned.
14. Order and maintain supplies, submit request for school equipment maintenance, and maintain office equipment as directed, with the knowledge of the principal.
15. Place and receive telephone calls, record messages, and distribute mail in a helpful, courteous, and professional manner as directed.
16. Welcome visitors, arrange for their comfort, and maintain a log of visitors for the school as assigned.
17. Maintain such student records as may be required. Assist with student attendance, student schedules, student grades and student reporting as directed.
18. Assist registrar and attendance clerk with preparation of transcripts, calling absentees, checking students in and out, and other tasks assigned.
19. Maintain a daily teacher attendance log, provide the necessary records for substitute teachers, keep a log of teacher weekly lesson plans, and secure substitutes for teachers as directed.
20. Maintain a master school calendar, schedule meetings, and schedule the use of the school facility as assigned.
21. Perform the usual office routines and practices associated with a busy yet productive and smoothly run office.
22. Obtain, gather, and organize pertinent data as needed and put it into usable form.
23. Maintain a regular filing system, as well as a set of locked files, and process incoming correspondence as instructed.
24. Type all correspondence, reports, forms, work permits, school calendar and other material as directed.
25. Prepare and dispense information, forms, letters, and other material including information to be sent to parents.
26. Assist with projects including fund raising as assigned.
27. Make all reports necessary to the school operation as required.
28. Demonstrate knowledge of the School System organization and the local school organization in making job related decisions.
29. Maintain a complete and systematic set of records of all financial transactions as required.
30. Evaluate office procedures and recommend improvements as needed.
31. Follow Board and local school policies and procedures.
32. Maintain proper and professional relationship with students and other employees.
33. Perform duties in a manner that promotes good public relations.
34. Maintain the confidentiality of all school related business.
35. Possess visual acuity.
36. Possess physical capability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and lift up to 25 pounds.
37. Possess physical and emotional ability and dexterity as needed to perform assigned tasks in a fast-paced, high intensive work environment.
1. Make payrolls and keep proper records and supporting documents as required.
2. Receive and receipt monies for the school as required.
3. Audit teacher receipt books as money is received from the teacher as required.
4. Handle banking activities as required.
5. Perform other job related duties during the school day as assigned by the principal.
Terms of Employment: Nine, nine and one-half, ten, ten and one-half, eleven, or twelve month contract. Salary based on the appropriate current Shelby County Salary Schedule. NON-EXEMPT EMPLOYEE.
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with support personnel evaluation system and Board policy.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Shelby County Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Alabama. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Shelby County Schools in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job