Teacher Expert - Instructional Support (Family Engagement Coach)
This job has been closed
Anchorage School District
School / Org:
||Asd Education Center
No. of Positions:
||27 October 2017
||Open Until Filled
Anchorage School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Teacher Expert - Instructional Support (Family Engagement Coach)
Location: Asd Education Center
This position requires a valid Alaska certificate and is represented by the Anchorage Education Association (AEA) union. The number of work days is established and salary is based upon the AEA negotiated pay scale. Positions which are .50 to 1.0 FTE are in the Alaska Teachers' Retirement System (TRS), positions which are .40 to .49 FTE are in the Alaska Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). Positions which are .39 FTE or less are not eligible for participation in either Alaska retirement system.
This position reports to and is evaluated by the Director of Title I. The Teacher Expert – Instructional Support (Family Engagement Coach) provides asssitance to Title I schools, families and other community organizations in support of student achievement. This position consults with and provides professional development to school staff, supports schools and families with transitioning children into elementary, middle or high schools, offers parenting classes when requested and works with community organizations to strengthen family engagement.
The following are required:
- Valid Alaska initial, professional, or master teaching certificate or Type C special services certificate.
- Evidence of content knowledge shown by:
* a posted degree in the content area of this position; or
* a posted minor in the content area of this position; or
* passing Praxis Subject Assessments scores (formerly Praxis II) in the content area of this position; or
* an endorsement in the content area of this position
The following are preferred:
- Master's degree.
- Three (3) or more years of successful public school counseling.
- Evidence of the following skills and abilities:
* Leadership skills and qualities.
* Ability to provide professional development opportunities to colleagues in a variety of formats.
* Interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills.
* Experience in adult learning theory, coaching/mentoring scenarios.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with teachers and administrators.
Essential Job Functions:
The responsibilities listed below are representative of the essential functions of this position. The successful candidate:
- Can describe their philosophy of education and demonstrate the relationship to their practice.
* Displays extensive knowledge of appropriate developmental characteristics of age groups and can easily adjust instruction to accommodate the range of development needs.
* Has the ability to use current technology to enhance instruction.
* Applies knowledge of current research and theory to instructional programs.
- Participates in and contributes to the teaching profession.
- Meets with building principals regularly to identify professional development needs of teaching staff based on teacher needs and student data and to assess progress monitoring and benchmark results.
- Applies deep content knowledge and relevant expertise to school projects and general operations; collaborates with principals in specific areas of focus and helps build instructional competency among staff.
- Has deep and clear understanding of multiple performance measures to facilitate data driven discussions and decision making at the school and student levels.
- Fosters and builds relationships with all stakeholders (at school and district levels) to drive collaboration and student support.
- Responds and interacts effectively to requests from classroom teachers and support staff in modeling lessons and advising on the use of data.
- Provides training in and modeling of research based instructional practices.
- Develops staff proficiency in culturally responsive practices and differentiated instruction to meet the learning needs of all of our diverse populations.
- Assists instructional staff in resolving complex obstacles to the success of overall school programs, as well as specific projects.
- Participates in meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Develops and facilitates professional development to school staff on best practices of family engagement.
- Supports Family School Services staff.
- Collaborates with the English Language Learners program to support engaging families.
- Supports schools with implementing engaging family nights.
- Supports Academic Parent Teacher Teams.
- Supports schools with developing and implementing family engagement plans.
- Keeps currently on best practices on family engagement.
- Maintains accurate files and data relative to the program.
Physical /Mental Demands:
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information:
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on
the "Apply Now" button above. You must register with Education America to complete the application process.
Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. Once verification of your email address
and registration is complete you can apply to this and other jobs posted on EAN for free.
The job posting above from Anchorage School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Alaska. DO NOT apply or send
unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the requirements listed by Anchorage School District in their postings.
Please quote the Education America Network
in your application to this job